The competition tasks of this skill category are based on the Vocational qualification in restaurant and catering services. The qualification titles of the basic qualification are kokki (cook) and tarjoilija (waiter/waitress).
The professional who have completed this qualification works indicated by the competence area for example in hotels, at accommodation establishments, restaurants, catering companies, institutional kitchens, cafés, transport stations, fast food, catering and tourism service companies as well as freight and passenger ships.
Description of the skill category
A cook works in food preparation tasks at kitchens with different business ideas. A cook plans, performs preliminary food preparation, prepares and displays tasty, attractive and healthy entire meals for customers. In food preparation tasks a cook is able to use and adjust recipes. A cook works in a customer service oriented, responsible, profitable and productive manner as well as in compliance with sustainable operating practices.
In addition to taste, a cook must consider aesthetic and nutritional matters, special diets and principles of gastronomy. When preparing the dishes, a cook considers requirements of hygiene, an environmental aspect and self-monitoring.
The competition tasks of the skill category are based on the requirements and criteria of ”Excellent” in the Vocational qualification in restaurant and catering services, competence area of food services (cook). The tasks are planned in cooperation with working life.
Competition is a pair competition.
Competitors in the skill category Cooking are able to prepare tasty, varied and healthy food, observing requirements of Finnish cuisine, internationality and gastronomy. The competitors manage hand skills which are needed in food preparation, and are able to use typical professional kitchen appliances, observing work safety.
In product preparing a cook considers economic matters, changing situations, cooperation and complies with sustainable operating practices and self-monitoring. Moreover, basic language skills in second native language and English are needed.
The semifinal and final tasks are based on the following modules of the Vocational qualification in restaurant and catering services:
- working in catering services
- preparing lunch dishes
- preparing plated dishes
- preparing à la carte dishes
- street and fast food services
- food preparation for catering services and special occasions
A successful competitor pair:
- is a top expert in the vocational field
- is able to create and interpret recipes as well as prepare work plans for own working
- is able to receive and store ingredients and other utensils
- manages handling and using foodstuffs with different degrees of processing
- is able to pre-prepare and prepare lunch dishes, plated dishes, dishes for catering services and special occasions, street and fast food and á la carte dishes, in a hygienic and profitable manner, using different food preparation methods and techniques
- is able to display portions and entire meals and, if necessary, correctly sends products considering customers
- is able to introduce the products to customers
- is able to work in a customer-oriented, profitable and productive manner, complying with product quality requirements, safety, healthiness and aesthetic aspects
- manages working together with others
- has understood problem solving and adapting skills
- has basic vocational language skills in second native language and English
- manages principles of sustainable development both in theory and in working
- manages Word and Excel programs
- is able to realistically assess own competence and receive feedback.
Skill steering group
- Anne Salmela, Savon koulutuskuntayhtymä Sakky
- Jari Honkonen, Savon koulutuskuntayhtymä Sakky
- Sami Kirjonen, Espoon seudun koulutuskuntayhtymä Omnia
- Daniel Strömberg, Espoon seudun koulutuskuntayhtymä Omnia
- Riikka Mantila, Turun ammatti-instituutti
- Carina Heinonen, Turun ammatti-instituutti
- Esa Koppelo, Koulutuskuntayhtymä OSAO
- Johanna Kiviö, Stadin ammattiopisto
- Toni-Pekka Karjalainen, Osuuskauppa PeeÄssä
- Teemu Sirainen, Laurea ammattikorkeakoulu
- Jari Korhonen, Metos
- Merja Lahdenkauppi, Opetushallitus
- Jukka Mäkinen, Länsirannikon koulutus Oy Winnova