The competition tasks of the skill category are based on the Vocational qualification in textiles and fashion. The qualification titles of the basic qualification are design textiles maker, dressmaker, milliner, fashion assistant, seamster, soft furnishings maker, shoemaker, textiles maker, textiles care operative and tailor.
The professionals of this field can work for example in small enterprises manufacturing textiles, clothes or footwear or in industry, stores, laundries, hire services or wardrobe services.
Description of the skill category
Dressmaking requires manual skills, perceptive skills, initiative, logical thinking and interaction skills. In comprehensive dressmaking, the essential factors are usability and high product quality, as well as a sensitive knowledge of colours, shapes, styles and trends. The competition tasks focus on the manufacturing process of a piece of clothing.
Competition is individual.
The competitor is able to make a pattern, cut and produce products according to the working instructions. S/he is able to plan, form and fit the products and parts of them according to the task. S/he is also able to work economically and finish the products so that they can be handed over to the customer. The competitor also knows how to serve the customer in a competent way. S/he is familiar with the basic materials and equipment of the field. S/he is also familiar with the role the materials have at the different stages of the production process. S/he is able to make a care instruction for the product.
The competitor is able to use the basic machinery and equipment of the field effectively and safely. S/he follows the principles of ergonomics and work safety and considers entrepreneurship, responsibility and wellbeing at work throughout the working process.
The competition tasks are based on the requirements and criteria of ”Excellent” in the Vocational qualification in Textiles and Fashion.
Skill Steering Group
- Päivi Särkkä-Lehkonen, Etelä-Savon koulutuskuntayhtymä Esedu
- Niina Lahikainen, Etelä-Savon koulutuskuntayhtymä Esedu
- Pauliina Oksala, Espoon seudun koulutuskuntayhtymä Omnia
- Minna Holopainen, Espoon seudun koulutuskuntayhtymä Omnia
- Maarit Orell, Turun ammatti-instituutti
- Anni Niemi, Turun ammatti-instituutti
- Janne Renvall, Svenska Teatern
- Noora Ihalainen, Stadin ammattiopisto
- Minna Tammi, Koulutuskeskus Salpaus
- Inna Ahlqvist, Suomen Tekstiili ja muoti ry
- Minna Taivassalo, Opetushallitus
- Eini Alajeesiö, Koulutuskuntayhtymä OSAO